Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 51 to 53 of 53

Thread: Re-porting 828 enclosures

  1. #51
    Inactive Member taudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2004
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    ====
    >Sure they are, for folks who make the effort.
    ====

    I'm sure that's so, but it's often _quite_ an effort - witness the disparity of opinions on the 828 volume - and the lack of an accurate "official" figure for the volumes of the 811B/511B


    ====
    >As the inventor Tom Danley occasionally laments, "the ancients keep stealing his ideas".
    ====

    This is a really GREAT quote! I love it! I hope Mr. Danley won't mind if I occasionally steal ... er... use it (with proper attribution, of course!)

    FWIW, here's another example of the ancients having all the great ideas. I finally got around to sealing off and filling the horn flares of my 828s. Frankly, I hadn't expected it to make a huge difference, but I was happily proved wrong again! There is now a clearly audible improvement in mid bass that seems (to me, at least)to translate into improved "presence".

    You live - and tweak - and you learn!

    taudo

  2. #52
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    >I'm sure that's so, but it's often _quite_ an effort - witness the disparity of opinions on the 828 volume - and the lack of an accurate "official" figure for the volumes of the 811B/511B

    ====

    I doubt the factory bothered to calculate it since it wasn't important to them, only publishing something after T/S became de riguer in design. Ditto the HF horn gross displacements since products were developed in the lab, then put to paper and at that point cheapened up as much as practical for the specific market.

    Anyway, for design purposes, the published 1.2/1.5ft^3 for them is 'close enough'.

    ====

    >This is a really GREAT quote! I love it! I hope Mr. Danley won't mind if I occasionally steal ... er... use it (with proper attribution, of course!)

    ====

    He's never complained to me about doing it, and considering we post on some of the same forums I find it hard to believe he's never seen me do it, especially as often as I've done it. Frankly, it's one of those types of sayings that's probably far older than any of us. Anyway, he's a super nice guy and probably wouldn't complain even if it wasn't attributed to him.

    ====

    >There is now a clearly audible improvement in mid bass that seems (to me, at least) to translate into improved "presence".

    You live - and tweak - and you learn!

    ====

    Yep. I built my 825 clones (right down to the 5/8" thickness) during my HS years and was listening to them in relatively ignorant audio bliss down in the basement one day when our next door neighbor peeked in to see how the garage band I played in could get so good so quickly. Being a mechanical/structural engineer, after a few minutes of listening he gave me a layman's cram course in rigidity Vs damping and we commenced to bracing/damping with s***** of plywood and 2x4s, finishing up with filling the horn flares with some Portland cement he had left over from a patio project and laying 50lb bags of sand on top of the 511s. "Clearly audible improvement" would be quite an understatement!

    Being a fairly long, highly rectangular unfinished concrete block affair (read echo chamber), the room dominated of course, so after doing some reading our neighbor recommended, my dad acquired some mattress blems from a local manufacturer (he was the comptroller for a good sized appliance/furniture store chain) to do some room 'critical' damping, which made the speaker improvements seem relatively insignificant in comparison.

    GM

  3. #53
    Inactive Member jimmymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need a crossover schematic for the Urei 828 enclosure with 604 drivers. Anyone please help!

    [email protected]
    fax 310-514-0444

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.